Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Solicitating and Confrontation

My cousin asked me to go help her do Lit Drop which means walk blocks and leave an informational card at the door of each house. She is part of the Senator Foung Hawj campaign of 2016. Since I couldn't go yesterday, we went today for 3 hours.

I skipped all the doors that had signs for No soliciting and no trespassing and all but towards the end of the final hour some dude followed me for several blocks and handed the flyer back to me.  Get this, the flyer basically just tell people the voting date, locations, and who Foung Hawj is and his background since he is representing the Eastside.  So the guy confronts me and said his door had a sign that said no solicitating and whatever. So I apologize and said I must have missed it.  I reached my hand out to retrieve the card back and he wouldn't let go. He continued to hold it tight and said I shouldn't be stealing flower seeds because in other countries my hands would be cut off.  I was confused and asked him to repeat himself again which he then proceed to repeat what he had said that I stoled his flower seeds off his lawn.  By this time, I was starting to get furious because, yes maybe I had missed his NO SOLICITING sign, but no way did I grab anything off anyone's yard or touched anything at all.  He was clearly just a jerk and an asshole of a jerk.  I defended myself and said I did not touch anything off anyone's lawn or even hold onto anything.  He repeated himself that my hands would've been cut off.

I don't think he realize I was with my cousin until she turned the corner and he then proceeded to blame her. He went on to say that if it wasn't me then it was her. Smh. I asked my cousin after the jerk left and she said she didn't touch anything either or "steal" seeds off flowers as he claimed.

That triggered it for me.  I was done. I didn't want to go door to door anymore.

The entire experience wasn't bad, didn't run into any issues. We weren't breaking the law or damaging property. We didn't even walk on people's grass, we walked on path and didn't harm anything.  And plus we didn't ring doorbells and bothered anyone either.  The campaign team had already sent out half the cards to the Eastside residents but since it cost money to do that they figured they can have volunteers walk and drop cards at the walkable blocks.  But oh well. There's always someone who just has to have their opinions released or else they can't go on living their life or something.

I repeatedly ask my cousin if what we were doing was actually solicitating and she said no because we are not asking or forcing anyone to vote for him, we are just letting people know of his experience. Idk. And according to the definition results from google we were not soliciting. Idk.  I am probably just too bothered by the fact that the dude had accused us of "stealing seeds from his flowers" which is extremely pathetic.

Anyways, hope everyone had a great Halloween last night and remember to vote on November 8th.  Have a very blessed day.

XOXOMNT


No comments:

Post a Comment